2 DIPS TO MAKE SNACKING HEAVENLY
THE RECIPE: HEAVENLY HUMMUS (makes 6-8 servings)
Once you make this hummus at home you'll wonder why you ever bothered with the store-bought stuff. This takes about 7 minutes from can-opening to noshing and the flavor, texture and consistency is just right. Hummus is a great dip to have on hand to encourage healthy snacking, but it's also a yummy protein-packed base for vegetarian wraps and sandwiches...which I'll be posting about tomorrow!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 1 Can no-salt-added chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed
- 1.5 Tablespoons tahini (Whole Foods 365 brand is my fave, but they sell Tahini at Trader Joe's near the nut butter, or in most grocery stores near the ethnic foods)
- 2 Tablespoons good extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Clove garlic, peeled, bottom nub chopped off and minced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste (I love the big fat flakes of Maldon Sea Salt in this)
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or high-speed blender and puree until smooth.
- Taste and add more salt and/or lemon juice if desired.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to 5 days in the fridge and/or freeze extra servings in an ice cube or baby food tray for up to a few months!
ANOTHER DIP YOU NEED TO TRY: LEE FROM AMERICA BLACK BEAN DIP
This girl is the queen of veggie-focused meals (pretty sure she invented the whole "frozen cauliflower/squash in your smoothie" thing). She puts together gorgeous smoothie bowls, buddha bowls and plates adorned with the farmers market goodies dreams are made of. This simple black bean dip is often at the center of her veggie-gasms...Once you give it a try, you'll understand why.
When I make this dip I make the below modifications, but I encourage you to try as is first and play with it as you see fit!
- I use 2x the cumin
- I use smoked paprika instead of regular cause the smoked kind tastes a little like bacon to me, and who doesn't like that?
- I only add about a tablespoon or 2 of water because we like it THICK
- I cut the salt in 1/2 (I have to watch my sodium. Boo.)
- I add 1 shallot and 1 clove of garlic, cause they make EVERYTHING better in my opinion!