5-MINUTE SMOOTHIE RECIPE + OXBOW PUBLIC MARKET REVIEW
THE RECIPE: OXBOW COCONUT ALMOND DELIGHT
This creamy, nutty, lightly-sweet smoothie is so dee-lish you could call it a milkshake, but it's packed with sneaky protein, veggies, fiber and healthy fats so we'll call it a smoothie :)
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 1 chilled jar or glass (pop in the freezer while you grab your other ingredients)
- Almond butter for schmearing ;)
- 1 C unsweetened nut milk
- 1/2 C no sugar-added coconut water
- 1 Tablespoon whole chia seeds
- 1 Heaping tablespoon dry-roasted unsalted almonds
- 1 Heaping tablespoon unsweetened coconut shreds
- 1 Big, soft, juicy medjool date, pitted
- 1 Tablespoon plain brown rice protein (I use this brand)
- 1 Scoop Further Food Collagen (I use this one. Use code MISFITWELLNESS10 to get a discount. And no I'm not getting paid. Maybe someday.)
- 1/2 C Trader Joe's frozen riced cauliflower
- Small handful organic spinach
- 3 Ice cubes
NOTE: Unfamiliar with any of the above ingredients? Check out the Misfit Wellness Superfood Glossary. Unsure where to buy some of this stuff? I get all my smoothie ingredients in the Whole Foods bulk bins, at Trader Joe's and largely on Vitacost.com (because the latter has prices for superfoods and supplements that beat everywhere else 9 times out of 10!)
- Schmear about 1/2 tablespoon of almond butter inside your chilled jar or glass and pop it back in the freezer while you work your magic.
- Toss everything from the nut milk through the ice into a high-speed blender and blend on high until smooth (or if you have a Vitamix, use the "smoothie" setting).
- Turn off the blender, scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula, (those chia seeds have a way of flying EVERYWHERE) and blend for a moment longer to make sure everything is incorporated.
- Pour your creamy, dreamy smoothie into your nut-buttery jar and top with a few more coconut shreds if desired.
THE BACKSTORY + A REVIEW:
The Oxbow Public Market is a wonderful little indoor/outdoor market in downtown Napa that is home to some of the most incredible local food and wine purveyors in Wine Country. Together these guys successfully fill the space with show-stopping colors, smells and flavors that are so drool-inducing you'll want to bring a change of clothes. Plus, with all the oysters, red wine and pizza you'll be sampling, you're likely to get a lil' dirty.
The last time we were at the market with friends, it was a little too early in the day for me to dive into anything wild and crazy, so I opted for a smoothie from Hudsons Greens & Goods - the stall I always sneak over to for dark-as-night chocolate and stupid expensive artisan food finds. The smoothie I got that day was so damn good I had to re-create it at home. And voila, here you have it!
I highly recommend you stop in to the market on your next visit to Wine Country. Gott's burgers are to-die, my husband swoons for Hog Island's hauled-that-morning-oysters, and the cheese and wine merchant is great for building picnics. Oh and don't miss the gluten-free cupcakes at Kara's, vegan ice cream flavor of the day at Three Twins and the juices at Hudsons!