MFW'S DECEPTIVELY HEALTHY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Chocolate chip cookies are my thing. I crave them when I want a treat, when I want comfort, when I want to celebrate...ok, pretty much all of the time. I realized recently that part of why I have so much love for such a simple, old-fashioned treat is because they remind me of my mom and of fond childhood memories. And since childhood seems to stick with us whether we like it or not, the love of chocolate chip cookies probably isn't going anywhere.
Unfortunately, the same body that wants ALL THE COOKIES still doesn't tolerate dairy, eggs or gluten very well, so I became determined to create a recipe that would satisfy the need for cookies on the regular without making me feel crappy. The beauty of this recipe? You will NEVER believe it's free from gluten/grains, dairy, eggs, refined sugar and soy. These babies really are too good to be true. In other words, my sensitive tummy (and yours) can have the cookie and eat it too!
PS these work well for a variety of special protocols and, thanks to a healthy dose of good fats and fiber, are lower glycemic than your average chocolate chip cookie. Hooray hormone balance!
THE RECIPE: COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- Preheat the oven to 325 and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl of mixed dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of cookie dough onto the parchment lined cookie sheet and press down to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Lick fingers and bowl. Enjoy egg-free cookie dough heaven.
- Bake cookies for 20-25 minutes, rotating tray 1/2 way through. The cookies are done when they're light brown and crispy around the edges.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheet before transferring to a rack to cool.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 1 Cup almond flour
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 Cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips (I use enjoy life)
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- Heaping 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 5 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract