QUICK LUNCH RECIPE: SPICY MEXICAN BUDDHA BOWL
THE RECIPE: SPICY MEXICAN BUDDHA BOWL (Serves 1)
This amaze-bowl lunch (see what I did there?) is fabulously flavorful AND nourishing thanks to a satisfying combo of fresh greens, creamy avocado and bean dip, roasty toasty sweet potato wedges, snappy lil' scallions and fulfilling brown rice. Top it off with the crunch of pepitas (aka pumpkin seeds), bright citrusy lime juice and that killer MFW chipotle sauce and you'll be ready for round 2 before round 1 is even over.
Note: This bowl takes a little more time (about 20-25 minutes) but if you're in a pinch, I've included lots of easy subs to make it in 1/2 that!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 1 Small sweet potato, scrubbed and sliced into thin wedges (The thinner the wedges the faster they cook. You can also sub Trader Joe's cooked wedges to speed things up.)
- 2-3 Cups washed organic greens (think spinach, arugula, baby lettuces)
- Handful bagged/boxed "coleslaw" mix
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 C Cooked brown rice or quinoa (I make and freeze batches of grains to save time and make meals like this super quick. I freeze in a baby food container, but if you just can't even with meal prep, buy it cooked and frozen at Trader Joe's!)
- 1/4 Lee From America Black Bean Dip OR 1/2 C black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 2 Scallions, rinsed, hairy white ends discarded and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon raw pumpkin seeds (or dry-roasted unsalted)
- 2 Tablespoons of MFW Spicy Chipotle Sauce OR your favorite salsa (choose a brand without funky additives & preservatives if possible)
- Add sliced chicken breast or ground turkey meat if you need a little extra animal protein to power you through to dinner!
- If you tolerate dairy, feel free to add some high-quality dairy, preferably something like cheddar that is naturally fermented which = gut benefits :)
- Preheat the oven to 400. Toss your sweet potato wedges in about 1-2 teaspoons of olive or other heat stable oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt, pepper (and cayenne if you like spice). Space out on a baking sheet lined with foil and bake about 20 minutes, flipping half way through.
- Defrost rice if need be and rinse/drain your beans if you're skipping the black bean dip.
- Chop your avocado and scallions.
- Have you checked and flipped your sweet potatoes? Don't forget to flip after 10 minutes!
- Toss your greens and cabbage in the lime juice in a medium bowl. Just use the bowl you plan to eat out of and save yourself the extra dishes :)
- Arrange rice, beans or dip, avocado and scallions atop the greens.
- Grab your sweet potatoes from the oven once finished and add 1/2 of the wedges to the bowl, reserving the other 1/2 for another day.
- Sprinkle pumpkin seeds atop your dreamy creation.
- Drizzle everything with your chipotle sauce (or spoon salsa over the top, but you're really missing out if you skip the MFW Chipotle Sauce!).