HORMONE BALANCING BREAKFAST RECIPE: CHOCOLATE COCONUT MACA OATS
THE RECIPE: CHOCOLATE COCONUT MACA OATS
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened nut milk (or dairy if you tolerate)
- 1 Scoop Nuzest Clean Lean Protein - Chocolate Flavored (no sponsoring here, just love this one after trying a ton of powders!)
- 1 Scoop Further Food Collagen (same note as above but you CAN get a discount with my code MISFITWELLNESS10 cause they think MFW is fab)
- 1 Tablespoon raw cacao
- 1/2 Tablespoon gelatinized maca powder (I love Navitas Organics for maca and cacao)
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Teaspoon virgin coconut oil
- 1 Teaspoon sweetener of your choice (I use Raw Food World mesquite powder, which is an excellent low-glycemic choice)
- 1 Small handful of organic spinach
- 1/2 C Gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 Tablespoon whole chia seeds
- OPTIONAL: Raw Cacao Nibs for topping
- NOTE: Unfamiliar with maca? Check out the Misfit Wellness Superfood Glossary to learn more!
- Gather all your ingredients and set them on the counter before you begin. This recipe happens quickly!
- Cook rolled oats in water on stovetop according to directions on package. Once water is absorbed, turn heat down to low and keep an eye on the oats while you move to the next step.
- Toss ingredients from nut milk through spinach in your high-speed blender, food processor or Vitamix and blend on high until fully combined. The mixture will be fudge-like in consistency. You may have to turn off your blender partway through and scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula. Totally normal :) Just keep an eye on those oats while you're working on this mixture, and stir if need be to avoid burning!
- Once smooth and clump-free, pour your chocolatey mixture into the saucepan full of warm oats. Add chia seeds and coconut and stir to combine.
- Cook for a few more minutes over low heat until desired consistency is reached. It should be nice and thick!
- Serve oats in a bowl and top with (optional) raw cacao nibs and a brazil nut for a thyroid health kick!
We're big smoothie fans in this house because they're an easy, delicious way to get well-rounded nourishment and energy from a morning meal. There are certain times of the month though, (PMS much?) when I'm craving warm, cozy, more carbohydrate-focused breakfasts. Plain old oats just don't do it for me and a big ol' stack of pancakes or bowl of sugar cereal might serve up comfort, but they also dish out a glycemic load bound to make me sleepy 20 minutes later (and then crave sugar ALL THE DAY LONG). Now that I know the importance of managing blood sugar for hormone health, when the PMS feels hit, I aim for breakfasts that satisfy the carb (and/or chocolate) cravings but still pack the same nutrient, energy and blood sugar stabilizing punches as my smoothies.
This chocolatey bowl of oats GITS IT DONE (and I'm a REALLY tough critic when I'm hormonal). It's full of protein, fiber, complex carbohydrates, healthy fats and greens to fuel your brain and body, all while keeping your belly full and happy without spiking blood sugar early in the day. Add maca to support endocrine health and raw chocolate because, chocolate, and could you ask for more out of a hormone-balancing breakfast? I think not. (Bet let me know!)