SNACK ATTACK: YUMMY & NOURISHING SNACKS AT HOME & ON THE GO
MY FAVORITE ON-THE-GO SNACKS & TREATS
These are my favorite things to have on hand when I know it's going to be a busy day (or week!) or when I'm traveling. Arming yourself with nutrient dense whole foods or snacks made with simple, real ingredients is the best way to nourish your body in a pinch without having to overthink it! NOTE: none of this is sponsored! These are truly my personal faves and have been for years.
- A small glass (or disposable/compostable) container stuffed with leftover roasted veggies with some nut butter, dressing or bean dip for dipping has to be my favorite snack. I almost always pack one for long plane flights to avoid eating their food (which make me feel like poop).
- An apple or Bare Snacks apple chips with a packet of Artisana Organics or Once Again nut butter. Why these brands? Because they're two of the very few that don't have added sugars and oils in their nut butter packets!
- A small handful (about 2 tablespoons) dry-roasted or raw unsalted nuts tossed in a Stasher Bag with a square of dark or raw chocolate always hits the spot when I'm running around between clients and presentations!
- Urban Remedy Cacao Chip Bar: loaded with healthy fats and plant-based protein, this bar is much lower in sugar than most protein bars, features simple, real food ingredients and is SUPS satisfying. I LOVE 'em so much I can only buy one at a time, except for when I'm traveling, when I go for the whole box :) Before you go all in, just beware that the chocolate is DARK and the bar isn't very sweet when compared to the average protein bar.
- Urban Remedy Sour Cream & Chive Zucchini Chips: These lil chippers are light and crispy but still satisfying enough to tide you over when you're hangry.
- Lydia's Sprouted Curry Crackers or Urban Remedy Carrot Curry Crackers: I LOVE all the curry things, so these snack crackers made with whole food ingredients and loaded with superfoods are delish, full of exotic flavors and one of my fave travel snacks!
- Eating Evolved Classic Coconut Butter Cups: These are so damn good you'll keep examining the label for some kind of catch. There isn't one. Simple ingredients, loads of healthy fats, low sugar and freaking AMAZING. I order a pack once in a while on Vitacost or pick them up at Project Juice when I see 'em. This is one of those "healthier alternatives" that puts highly processed versions to shame.
- Go Raw Ginger Snap Cookies: I've been eating these and the Lemon Cookies for YEARS and STILL love them. They travel well and have simple, whole food ingredients. They're extra yummy if you keep em cold in the fridge or freezer, but just as good on the go. I buy them at Whole Foods, but I've heard they're also available on Thrive Market.
- Brad's Radical Ranch Crunchy Kale Chips: I love the flavor of these kale chips and the raw food ingredients. Crispy and delish, they're great for snacking on the plane or on the go when you're after something savory.
- Sejoya Coco-Thins: These babies are almost dangerously good. Create a little sandwich cookie with some almond butter or sun butter and good luck not eating half the bag!
DELISH & HEALTHY SNACKING AT HOME OR WORK
I love the simplicity and delish flavors of all the below snacks which can be thrown together quickly and always keep me satisfied when I need something between meals. Convenience and ingredients are important, but I'm never one to sacrifice taste. Healthy has to taste good to keep us coming back for more!
- Let's start with the fastest and easiest of snacks that require no preparation or advanced effort:
- 1/2 Avocado drizzled with evoo, a little lemon juice and a pinch of good sea salt is so fast and easy but wonderfully fulfilling thanks to lots of healthy fats and fiber.
- Celery and nut butter or Kite Hill Chevre
- Apple dipped sun butter
- Frozen cherries dipped in tahini (HEAVENLY)
- 1-2 Small medjool dates stuffed with 1-2 Tbsp almond butter then rolled in unsweetened shredded coconut is my FAVE dessert right now! (Stick with 1 - 2 small dates at a time because they are pretty high in natural sugars!)
- A handful of fresh berries with a small handful of dry-roasted or raw, unsalted brazil nuts (for thyroid health) or walnuts (for brain boosting omegas)
- Sliced raw cucumber, carrots, celery, and red peppers dipped in this hummus or bean dip is the perfect afternoon snack that can double as a veggie platter when entertaining! Make the dips early in the week to have on hand in a pinch.
- Brown rice cake slathered with 1 Tbsp cashew butter or unsweetened full fat coconut yogurt (or greek yogurt if you tolerate dairy), topped with sliced fresh berries. Sprinkle a few chopped pecans or slivered almonds on top for added crunch...or some dark chocolate chips if you're feeling wild!
- Gluten-free sourdough toast topped with Kite Hill Chevre & 1/4 sliced avocado sprinkled with sea salt always hits the spot when I need something a little more substantial after a tough workout class or long hike.
- Leftover sweet potato wedges or delicata squash with 1-2 Tbsp almond butter and sprinkled with cacao nibs is one of my favorite PMS snacks to help curb sugar cravings! When in season, I love adding fresh figs to this too. PS. I know the veggie + nut butter combo sounds a little weird, but trust me and try it!
- Leftover roasted carrot fries or these carrot chips with 1-2 Tbsp tahini is another delish combo that helps me curb sugar cravings.
These addictive MFW low sugar cookie dough balls can be whipped up in a few minutes and hit the spot anytime I want a treat for a snack!
- I made these LFA Fat Balls recently and they're a PERFECT pre-workout snack (or anytime snack) thanks to energizing healthy fats. I added 1/2 C collagen to the mix to support tissue repair, skin health and and gut healing.
- When in doubt, whip up a homemade smoothies! You can find loads of recipes here. When I'm having a smoothie for a snack instead of a meal I usually 1/2 the amount of protein and fat so I don't get too full from it or, simply make as directed and save 1/2 for the next day!
- Go Raw Chocolate Coconut Crisps: One of my favorite chocolatey snacks, these babies double as killer smoothie toppers and are crispy delicious snacks loaded with energizing healthy fats. Store these in the freezer or fridge, other wise they're a little tough to chew. I buy them at Whole Foods, but I've heard they're also available on Thrive Market.
- Chia pudding has and always will be one of my favorite snacks. The fiber, healthy fats and plant-based protein is a killer combo for holding you over between meals! Check out my recipe here.
- When I'm resting my digestion, feeling super bloated (thanks PMS) or REALLY pressed for time, I'll just have a low-sugar green juice or tea with collagen peptides for a "snack".
PS. I almost don't want to mention this, in case some of you doubt the deliciousness of any of the above, but everything on this list happens to be free of dairy, gluten, soy, corn, peanuts and refined sugar. This isn't on purpose (or to torture you), it's simply because the list is full of the whole, real foods (like fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds) that I eat on a day to day basis. It took a lot of trial and error (and elimination and reintroduction), but I've finally discovered that I THRIVE on these kinds of foods - and so do most human beings. Plus, when you're plate is full of this kind of nourishment most of the time, there's plenty of wiggle room to enjoy the warm chocolate chip cookies I love to indulge in once in a while without harming your health or digestion :)